Cheezland

By the cheezpeeps, for the cheezpeeps!

Not around lately

Home Forums Srs stuff Not around lately

This topic contains 183 replies, has 5 voices, and was last updated by  noodle 3 months, 1 week ago.

Viewing 34 posts - 151 through 184 (of 184 total)
  • Author

annipuss

Oh my dears. This is too much.

#57169 Reply

maryqos

yes it is. stupid crazy.

#57172 Reply

Noodle

We standz strong wiv jackie an wiv u. Loads ov luv heddin on northeasterle direchion.

#57173 Reply

prysma
    Keymaster

Thanks, guys. It matters more than I can tell you.

In somewhat brighter news – Freya and Trick both seem to be over the diarrhea, although I’m continuing the pumpkin until I’m quite sure all three are clear. Cory still definitely has the runs, but his appetite is good and he’s alert and feisty, so apparently not feeling too bad. In fact, he stole a partial bag of kitty kibble off the shelf and tried his best to rip it open! Oddly, since we swapped pain meds, he’s suddenly determined that he can eat by imself and does not need to be fed one kibble at a time… and he’s sort of kind of managing it, a bit messily and not at full efficiency, but if it makes him feel independent and he wants to eat, I’m not going to fuss the details.

#57174 Reply

maryqos

Sownds lyke improovmint awn hoem frunt, thass gud gud!

#57205 Reply

prysma
    Keymaster

At the risk of sounding really excitable about kitty poops… we’re apparently well over the hump. Cory’s are still a bit loose (actually, the others are still having an occasional very-slightly-soft one too) so I’m continuing with the pumpkin another couple of days (this is not winning me any love within certain feline demographics, particularly the 7-to-10-year-old tabbies and the 7-to-10-year-old house panthers, although the over-12 tuxies are surprisingly tolerant).

Vet diagnosis would be nice, but if it’s viral, which seems to be the case, anti-robotics are useless and as far as I know it would basically be supportive care anyway. It’s been right around 9 days since the symptoms started, so that seems reasonable for a virus vs immune system battle.

Cory’s teeth seem to be bothering him some with no anti-inflammatories, but we can’t do Metacam until his tummy is a hundred and elebenty percent normal. We’d like to try CBD-in-salmon-oil, Jackie got some in Toronto from a nice store owner who gave her a discount so we could try it, and apparently gabapentin, which I always thought was for neuropathic (no current source, leftover) pain, also works well in cats for some sorts of things and he’d probably be a good candidate. Both also should have a little bit of a low-anxiety effect, which would be good. I’m trying very hard to keep “nurse mode” to a bare minimum and maximize the time spent with him just loving him or being near him, but things like syringes of food do stress him a bit.

So far, so good… but really looking forward to this episode being over!

#57206 Reply

annipuss

I was given gabapentin for osteoarthritis. The stuff did nothing for the pain and had side effects (but I can’t off-hand remember what)

#57207 Reply

maryqos

Gabapentin is used for lots now. Seems to help with chronic pain in some. Was in the news lately as a new drug of abuse. I think the MD’s in Ewe Ess uf Aye prescribing because of the clamor over the opiate issues.

#57208 Reply

Shepmom

Sew gladified to heer dat fings am “firmly” on the mend…!

Hao am Jackie, if iz awlrite to askify?

Wii still holding yoo bof in de light!

#57209 Reply

Jackie.Elle
    Keymaster

Thanks for asking … doing ok – it usually takes a few days to recover from Toronto trips, back acts up and such. so I am basically useless for a few days *LOL
    As far as an update? sadly stuff is still ongoing :( *hugs

#57210 Reply

Shepmom

*takes “stuff” out back and slaps it around a bit…delivers a good talking to…*

#57211 Reply

maryqos

yu go dere Shepmom!

#57246 Reply

prysma
    Keymaster

V-e-t getting a bit testy about the buprenorphine, which I can kinda see, but it’s not like I want him on opitates permanently. Actually, she made me cry yesterday, when she started suggesting a bit strongly that if it takes a lot of pain meds for Cory to be okay, maybe quality of life not so good. Um… no. He just needs a bit of help with his mouth so he can eat. Otherwise, he’s loving and cheerful and interested and alert and intermittently playful. He had some catnip and shredded a foam pad (the sort for kneeling on in the garden, he loves those), and the next day he pounced Freya to wrestle. He wants to be carried around so he can nuzzle my ponytail until it’s all loose and off-side, and he wants literal hedbonks so hard it’ll give you a concussion. He’s nowhere near ready to cross the Bridge yet. Okay, given the viral diarrhea and the bit of chaos with meds, he’s been less than optimal the past couple of weeks, but still my happybear.

I know I’m going to lose him, I know the clock is ticking, I don’t need the reminder. I’ve been down this road, and I will not force him to stay alive when he doesn’t want to be here anymore. But I’ve also watched cats just… disengage when they’ve had enough. He’s still absolutely involved and alive here and now. If he’s ignoring his health stuff as best he can, then fair enough. Lots of us do, and it doesn’t mean we should cross the Bridge yet! I’m coping by focusing on making every day as positive as I can and looking for ways to extend that positivity.

She’s also pretty ambivalent about CBD oil, although she realistically needs to get un-ambivalent because she’s gonna have more and more peeps using it and she might want to sound like she understands it! He’s going in next Monday for bloodwork (which we aren’t having to put off until August coz of you awesome generous peeps, you!) and so she can check out how he’s doing.

So… Monday, we started him on CBD oil. That’s one of the two main active ingredients in cannabis – not the THC that gets you high. CBD works as an anti-inflammatory, and we’re still reluctant to put him back on the Metacam because, well, it’s like an NSAID, hard in de tummy! He’s mostly over the diarrhea but not inclined to push it.

I’ve been a tad ambivalent too, so I’m keeping records – I’ll share it with the vet if she wants. (I’ll give it to anyone else who wants it, tooo, if you’re considering using it or know someone who is.)

Uhm… wow?

He’s had two doses so far. And they’re LOW doses – his lean weight is around 7kg, he’s a big boy, but we’re starting at a 5kg dose. And I swear to CC, it started helping within a few hours after the first dose. No side effects. And the bit of pain that the buprenorphine couldn’t touch seems to be gone. He’s not showing the slightest discomfort with eating and drinking right now (still needs help tho, it isn’t gonna fix the partial paralysis). His appetite’s good, not excessive. His coordination and energy are great! He utterly destroyed a bag of kitty treats last night that I carelessly left in reach because he hasn’t been killing bags of noms lately. :-) And this morning, he did a beautiful, perfectly controlled, no claws leap from the shower windowledge, where he’d been having a drink, into my arms, and then into Jackie’s so she could take him to my bed, all one smooth precise manoeuvre that he could not have done if his mind was foggy from pain or side effects.

That’s the short version, but basically so far… success as far as anti-inflammation effects, success as far as side effects, and I’m trying to keep an open mind about just what other benefits might come with a really good anti-inflammatory that works differently from standard ones. I think I may need to adjust my previously highly-sceptical stance.

#57247 Reply

Shepmom

yup, yup, yup — de CBD oil am good stuff. Ai cans tell yoo dat Lili habs been awn it for abowt a yeer nao, and no side effects developing as yet. Nor habs ai had to keeps upping de dosage…she am still awn de original amownt.

Good for yoo for gibbing it a trie!

#57248 Reply

maryqos

oh ai am glad tew hear Cory Bear dewing gud gud. he’z nawt goeing aneeware soone.

#57250 Reply

Jackie.Elle
    Keymaster

about CBD, I am on it also … costs a fortune (if I use full prescription it is 400 a month *faints* so I space it out) … but I can tell a huge difference when I have and when I don’t. I also find the “other side” a great tool to help with sleepies.
    I think PK seeing what it did for me gave her enough faith to take the jump with her baby :)

#57346 Reply

prysma
    Keymaster

Cory just had about the most chill vet visit ever – very minimal stress. The CBD just seems to dial his anxiety about anything down massively. Even the vet was impressed how relaxed he was getting blood taken – and we got a couple of adorable pics. She’s rather astonished, since I think she was expecting to see a cat who’s clearly dying, and instead found him on the floor with me, inside a nylon shopping bag I had in my purse, and purring while getting brushed. His weight is actually UP, not down, probably because he’s so determined to eat on his own and has been doing so enthusiastically. Been holding off on updates because nothing much to say over the weekend, but I’ll do a proper one now and post it.

Blog post about the vet visit, with a short video and a few pics: http://prysmcat.org/purr/2018/07/23/cory-and-cbd-oil-day-eight-and-vet-visit/

Earlier posts are there too. I think it’s safe to say, Cory is doing amazingly well on CBD oil, and even the vet agrees.

#57347 Reply

Noodle

Cory u luk absolutelee fabuluz. Wowzer, him iz a luv bug.

#57348 Reply

Shepmom

Sew glad to heer dis! Yaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaay!

#57349 Reply

maryqos

A miracle and so wonderfulllll!!!!

#57408 Reply

prysma
    Keymaster

Message from vet re: Cory’s bloodwork:

Hi Steph, reporting Cory’s blood test results. Good news is that although his Lymphocyte, Eosinophil and Monocyte counts are still all elevated, they are stable. At this point I really think the changes we are seeing are related to his allergy/skin disease issues and may be something we will always see on his blood work. Whether the oil will help with this, who knows? I think we can continue with medication and supplements as planned, and see if we can slowly wean down his buprenorphine. Call me if you have any further questions, but good news overall.
    -=-=-=-=-

:shock: My Cory-Bear does NOT have cancer?!?!?! Okay, still a bit of unexplained neurological and autoimmune stuff, but… NOT CANCER?!?!?!?! I, uh, I, uh… *brain bluescreens*

#57410 Reply

Shepmom

O mai — *brain makes sown ob record being spun back and forth by dj*

Dat woulds be de most wundermus gnus!!!!

Sending up awl beemz, prayers, good thots, position papers, instructions, pleas, and deep rekwests dat dis be so~

#57411 Reply

Noodle

Wundrus gnus.

#57414 Reply

maryqos

still dancin!

#57426 Reply

Shepmom

yupyupyup for dancing MQ! I tolded Lili de gnus, and wii dids a happy dancedancedance dat had de naybors doing erfkwake preparedness!

Wii am so happy! ‘bowt time de howse ob Prysma got some really good news!

#58880 Reply

prysma
    Keymaster

The weather is barely changing, and I’m crashing already. This is long, sorry, but it’s why I’m quiet lately. Legal stuff (sux), kitty health (much more positive)… y’know, the usual.

Got the dates for the court crap. A pre-trial in _May_ that’s a single day and then two days the following week, then the trial dates are in June, they have two solid weeks booked for it. Yes, it’s time to save up a bit and to try to find some way, some place, something for those two weeks… kitty vet bills permitting. The better part of a further year of struggling to make ends meet and of not knowing what the future holds and of Jackie being paranoid about the bail conditions. After over a year and a half already.

When all this happened, we couldn’t do the last payments on a medical credit card we got quite a while back when Angel was alive and sick. Jackie contacted them to explain that she was trying and would pay what she could, but they decided to ignore her and start small-claims proceedings. At least that’s local. The local university legal aid department is helping, that’s on Thursday.

Trick was at the vet on the 19th for his annual check-up, so she can continue to prescribe his meds. She’s very very happy with him, his weight’s gone up a little more (from just over 7kg to 7.25kg) and his coat’s thick and shiny. Even his remaining teeth are doing good. It isn’t lymphoma, because it hasn’t deteriorated after all this time – it’s irritable bowel for sure. She also thinks that the increased level of urine in the litter box is not him, despite being on prednisolone, because she couldn’t see anything else suggesting trouble and his bladder wasn’t full. She does want bloodwork but it isn’t urgent, we can wait until December or January.

This means Cory is the source of the excessive urine. His weight is up since June when we had the cancer scare plus the neuro problems that caused the paralysis. That’s worrying ’cause diabetes, despite perfect blood work in June. We FINALLY have him eating wet food again – ONLY turkey, which has to be grain-free so he won’t itch. Absolutely nothing but turkey, because… Cat, I guess. Anything I syringe-fed him, he refuses to touch, maybe associating it with feeling bad. We’ve been trying to restrict his kibble, since it has carbs in it and cutting his kibble a lot helped him lose weight until the cancer/neuro thing.

He is showing zero signs of neuro issues anymore. His pupils are even again, and he can eat and drink no problem. This is amazing, since three months ago we were braced for a lifelong need to accommodate.

Maybe someone can help us understand this bit? A few days ago, once we had enough wet food he’d eat, we started doing the kibble in small pre-measured amounts like we used to and giving it to him by hand. He promptly, all on his own, dropped back into the old regular schedule of one tablespoon at breakfast, early afternoon, suppertime, bedtime, and otherwise all low-carb wet food. And all at once, literally within a day, the urine in the litter box plummeted so fast I stayed in hearing for hours to be sure all three could pee normally. Could getting his carb level down so much and onto a consistent schedule really make that much of a difference in his blood glucose and how thirsty he is?

Couple of brighter personal bits: been writing, although probably not the kind of stuff that would appeal to most Cheezpeeps. I found a site offering literary erotica (mine have actual story and characters and stuff), so I’m posting some of the stuff I write for fun, and a few peeps seem to like it. Haven’t given up on the regular sort, still have half a dozen novels in various stages, but this stuff can be fun – and an audience is an audience!

A very very old computer game that I really enjoyed (so old it ran under DOS!) was very recently redone, which usually doesn’t go well but they got two of the original creators to lead the project and it worked amazingly. You build and manage a hospital, or actually a whole series of hospitals, and the conditions you treat are very silly ones. It’s tons of fun, and it’s keeping me distracted. I kinda need that right now.

So, uh… yeah. Tired, stressed, distracted, focused a lot on my purrkids, trying to look out for Jackie who’s also understandably stressed and anxious. Plus the news she got in Montreal was not great although not catastrophic, and there isn’t really a fix. Having anxiety bouts pretty easily, so I’m strenuously avoiding the news and social media, and wish I could avoid going out for groceries and all. But we’re surviving.

Psych appt next week, always fun. Not that there’s anything he can do, since literally every psychoactive medication we try at this point has negative effects with no positive ones.

Love you guys, and I’m sorry this is so long and rambly. Just wanted to give you an update. {{{{{{{{{{{{alla Cheezfrenz}}}}}}}}}}}}}

#58881 Reply

shepmom

Check your email, please, dear heart.

#58882 Reply

maryqos

All the kitteh news sounds pretty good, all the people stuff sounds stressful, so glad you have such a creative outlet and Jackie too. Appreciate the update on your life, for Toronto maybe if college is out there might be rooms to rent that would be less expensive? Just a thought. I’m still wishing I had a dorm room like the ones that TJP and I stayed in when we visited. Hugs and Hedbonks!

#58883 Reply

annipuss

As someone with diabetes, I know that excess blood sugar from carbs can cause extra urine production, but since you say Cory has increased his weight, diabetes seems unlikely, as untreated, it tends to cause loss of weight since the body can’t use the carbs and I think uses fat reserves for energy instead, while the excess blood glucose is excreted in the urine.

#58902 Reply

noodle

Cheezlandians r rite dere wiv u Jackie an prsyma. An ur fur babies too.

#59069 Reply

prysma
    Keymaster

YESSSS!!!! *happehdans* Cory-Bear are eating, at least occasionally, gushinoms that are NAWT TURKEE!!!!

Duz you know how hard, and how eggspensive, it are to find elebenty types of approved turkee gushies wif no grains in them, but varied textures and stuff to keep a fussy boy interested?!?! Wif two other cats glaring at teh bowl and saying, “Turkee AGEN, Mom?” so have to get other stuff fur them?

Still mostly the spensive turkees, but he ate a Fancy Feest chikkin wun a few days ago, actually he polished off most of it and I hadda put out somethin else fur teh uvver two. And right nao he eating teh chikkin version of a turkee wun he rly rly likes.

Okay, as viktrees go, this izzint exactly earthshaking, but I takes my viktrees where I can. He been refusin to eat anything but turkees, and especially anything he had by syringe after his stroke or whatever it was, but… he ate chikkins!

*runs back to writing and tu keepin teh Cory-Bear from turnin self into a sphynx-cat over allerjee itches*

#59070 Reply

shepmom

Huzzah, Cory-Bear!! Yoo go kitteh! Neggst it will be steaks!

#59089 Reply

maryqos

allrite Cory Bear!!!!

#59090 Reply

noodle

Gud boi Cory-bear, gud boi.

Viewing 34 posts - 151 through 184 (of 184 total)
Reply To: Not around lately
Your information:

Cheezland © 2012-2019 Frontier Theme